Colbert created the Salon in 1667 to exhibit works by members of the Royal Academy of Painting and Sculpture and artists approved by this academy. In 1725, the exhibition was housed in the salon of the Carré du Louvre (hence its name), and in the second half of the nineteenth century in various Parisian sites.
It was initially held annually, but at times, biannually and it was even cancelled several times due to political upheavals.
Depending on the year, it lasted from a few weeks to several months. The Academie was disbanded during the Revolution and the Salon became a venue open to all artists, but a jury was soon formed to limit the number of exhibitors. From 1830 to 1848, the jury imposed an increasingly severe censorship, which led certain painters to create parallel independent exhibitions.
The Salon continued through the late nineteenth century. It was an extremely important and highly anticipated event in the cultural life of Paris.